“…there is a general tendency for us in the western world to over-analyze and to attempt to understand aspects of music making with the intellect which must be first understood at other levels, such as the motor centers and emotions. It is a curious contradiction. On the one hand, we don’t seem to mind at all giving a child all the time he or she needs to learn to walk and run without any intellectual instructions, nor does the child ask for any. On the other hand, when it comes to a beginner in music, whatever his or her age, we insist on explaining many things which can only be understood and executed after much practice. Not only does this intellectual approach actually slow the more important process of intuitive and automatic learning, but it interferes with the students’ developing higher levels of listening and observation. Especially at more advanced levels of learning, it is precisely the moment of not understanding which should sharpen the students’ power of listening and observation – and not simply the impulse to formulate another question.” [italics mine]
Kenneth Zuckerman, “Improvisation in medieval music,” in Improvisation II. Internationale Tagung für Improvisation, edited by Walter Fähndrich (Lucerne: Amadeus, 1993),134-142.
3 comments:
Another great post. Makes me wish I would have taken this class with you while I was around.
Yes, the visceral part of music making is what the beginning musician is probably in love with. This is what drew me in, anyway, and the LACK of this approach in ANY kind of musical education (especially academic) is what troubles me most about "school learnin'." The road you're walking right now seems to me to tackle this problem from the root.
What do you hear? Repeat. If what you hear is not internalized, how will we ever externalize it?
"I'll play it first & tell you what it is later." -Miles Davis
I just discovered this blog this evening. I love it.
Thanks, John Mark!
Post a Comment